Kids don’t usually say ‘Yes’ to food that easy. We as parents know how hard it is to feed kids at times due to their confined choice of foods. As parents, it becomes our duty to develop taste in our kids, so that when they turn into full-grown beings, they consume all kinds of foods so that there isn’t any deficiency in terms of nutrition.
Today, I’m going to share three healthy barbecue recipes with you, which you can also make at home for your kids. These recipes are full of flavors and will definitely lure your kids to the dining table. But, you need to have a pellet smoker in order to prepare these healthy barbecue recipes. If you have one in your house, then what are we waiting for. Let’s get started!
Grilled Barbecue Chicken With Sweet Sauce
- 5 lbs bone-in chicken pieces.
- 4 tbsps. apple cider vinegar
- honey 4 tbsps.
- 4 tbsps. molasses
- 1 15-ounces can tomato sauce
- ¼ + ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Take a medium saucepan, put it on the flame, and heat olive oil over low-medium heat.
- Now, add onion powder, garlic, ¼ tsps., salt, and Cook for a minute, but keep stirring all the mixture.
- Add apple cider vinegar, molasses, tomato sauce, honey and ½ tsp salt into the pan and keep stirring. Reduce the flame and let the entire mixture simmer for 5 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Pour 50 percent of the sauce into a shallow baking dish or a zip-top bag followed by adding chicken. Make sure that the all the pieces of chicken are coated with sauce. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Use the rest of the sauce while serving.
- After marinating chicken for a couple of hours, it’s time to grill it. So, heat the grill on medium heat, take the chicken pieces out of the bag or baking dish, shake off extra sauce and place the chicken pieces (skin side down) on the BBQ.
- Cook the chicken for half an hour, turning the pieces a couple of times in between. Apply barbecue sauce as per the requirement, but make sure that all the pieces burn evenly.
- Put the pieces on the plate and serve it with BBQ sauce.
Chicken Tabbouleh Pitas
- 2 chicken breasts (preferably organic)
- red pepper powder
- chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-5 tablespoons shredded cucumber
- 6 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 + 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- A big bunch of parsley (flat leaf), chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- about 15 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 dl / 0,8 cups bulgur
- ½ packet dry yeast (that’s about 6g / 0,2 oz)
- 3,75 dl / 1,5 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 cups water
- Start with preparing pita dough. For that, add 1 tbsp., to the lukewarm water, then add dry yeast into the flour. Now, add flour into the water and stir the mixture. Add olive oil followed by kneading the dough for 10-12 minutes. Keep the dough aside now, and wait for 1-1.30 hours until the dough gets double in size.
- Now, its time to prepare tzatziki sauce for which, you need to add shredded cucumber, Greek yogurt, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl for 5-8 minutes. Put it in the fridge.
- You will have to make tabbouleh salad now, for which, you will have to cook bulgur and then, leave it to cool. Add cucumber, chopped tomatoes, mint, flat leaf parsley, lemon juice, spring onions and olive oil. You can season it with salt and pepper.
- See the dough now, and if its size has increased, then you need to divide it into 4 pieces, which will then be turned into balls. Place all the pieces on a plate.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. You can add red pepper and chili as well, as it all depends on how spicy your kids like to eat.
- Turn on the heat in your barbecue and BBQ the chicken for 8-10 minutes.
- While the chicken is being grilled, you need to make pita bread from those dough balls. Place those pieces of bread on the grill, but first, coat the bread with some olive oil. Grill the bread for 3-5 minutes.
- Cut the bread from one side and add grilled chicken with refreshing tzatziki sauce. Top with it some freshly chopped parsley.
- 5kgs beef mince
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- olive oil for frying
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- mixed herbs 1 tsp
- 1 zucchini, grated
- Add breadcrumbs, eggs, minced beef, cheese and herbs in a large bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well, and then make 16 even sized balls. Then, turn them into patties.
- Turn on the heat on the grill, and brush olive oil on the grates.
- Place those 16 patties on the grill.
- Cook for 20 minutes, and change the sides a couple of times in between.
Place all 16 beef rissoles on a plate and serve it with BBQ sauce.
Monica Henin, the author of this amazing recipe post is a fantastic cook and a passionate blogger. She has written a countless number of blogs on food tips and healthy recipes in the past. To check out her best work, you need to log onto Addonkitchen.com